The Road to Sustainability
During the past 12 months, through its own fund raising and with the aid from AFoT Tandaza Trust has made considerable progress towards its three year goal of becoming self-sufficient.
Achievements have included:
- establishing a green house
- establishing a seed bed for the propagation of seedlings
- setting up an irrigation system inside the green house
- tractor farming the remaining land outside of the green house where a variety of vegetables have also been planted
- the purchase of seeds and farming equipment
- weeding, fumigation and harvesting of crops
There have been challenges faced during this period in the efforts made towards sustainability. Kenya has experienced a period of severe drought. A result of this was the unanticipated need to purchase water to maintain crops.
In the lead up to the general election held in Kenya there has been political uncertainty which has translated into economic uncertainty and a shortage of local donations. This situation was exacerbated by skyrocketing food prices and increases in costs for farming equipment and seeds etc.
Despite these unexpected challenges progress with the Agricultural Initiative is very positive and the Trust has truly begun its journey into sustainability with a view to continuing to make a difference in the lives of women and children